Never heard of a cold brew? You have been missing out my tea loving friends!
Forget those sugar laden chilled iced teas, cold brewing tea for hot summer days is so easy and delicious you might just make it your thirst quenching go to summer brew.
When you cold brew you get a completely different taste sensation. The cold water reduces the amount of tannins released by the tea (that’s those bitter notes you taste in hot brewed tea) so you are left with a smooth naturally sweet and refreshing tea, no added sugar needed.
Now i’ve hopefully won you over and you’re keen to try a cold brew for yourself, here’s how I cold brew using my amazing loose leaf teas.
- A french press is perfect for this, so go grab yourself a big one, mine comfortably holds 1ltr of water.
- Add 2-3 scoops (or tablespoons) of a good quality loose leaf tea of your choice.
- Add 1ltr of preferably filtered cold water and pop the lid on the french press, keeping the plunger up.
- Now pop it into the fridge and leave to brew for 6-8hrs, I like to pop mine into the fridge before going to bed, that way I have a delicious cold brew ready for the following morning.
- Push the plunger on the french press down/strain and enjoy your simple heavenly sweet cold brew.
N.B. There’s mixed info available on the internet about how long a cold brew will keep. Hopefully by making a smaller 1ltr amount like I do you will enjoy it all through the day and be ready to make a fresh batch by the evening, but that being said, should you still have some left it will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge, any longer than this and I would recommend starting a fresh brew.
Go experiment with flavours my tea lovers and let me know your favourites in the comments below.